The student news site of Wichita Heights High School

The Highlighter

Boys Basketball Final

Jacob Fryman, Author/Producer

The Boys basketball team has had a great season finishing at 19-6. They took the trip up to Topeka for the state tournament and there first opponent was Pittsburg. Pittsburg was 20-2 coming in at the 2 seed and Heights, the number 6th seed came out and did what many people believe was a huge upset.   Beating Pittsburg 72-65.

The boys would go on to play KC Schlagle, Heights in 16 fourth-quarter possessions, Heights’ offense failed to produce points on 14 of them. Heights missed nine of 10 field goals, four of five free throws, and committed four turnovers in the fourth quarter.  We just got a little tight and a little nervous, “Coach Auer said.  Heights would lose 50-39.

Heights was set to play against Goddard Eisenhower for third place and after a long hard fought game Heights would ultimately lose 64-57.

What a great season for the boys’ basketball team even though they didn’t finish it the way they wanted too. Heights made it to the final four 8 of last 10 seasons, which is a big accomplishment for the boys basketball and coach Auer.

Closing out the season Heights finishes with Tyrell Andrews, Devin Davis, both made first team all city.

K’Vonte Baker, Anthoney Collins, Decquan Richardson, all made Honorable mention.