The student news site of Wichita Heights High School

The Highlighter

Spring Sports Intro 2017

Spring sports started this week which means there are six different sports getting ready for competition this spring.

Boys Tennis is led by Coach Paul Biays in his twelfth year as the head coach. Kerry Dunn is one of their best players which finished second place in city league, first place in regionals, and a fifth place finish at state. Kerry will be working hard to do better this year.

Track is led by Coach Steve Crosley which will be his final year as he is retiring. Isaac Smallwood was the lone track athlete who won a medal at the state meet last year as he took 3rd in the triple jump.

Dale Heckman is the coach of the girls swim team and they return all their top swimmers this season. Brianna Reece won city league diving last year.  Katelyn Blattner, Madison Jensen, Selena Howard and Hannah Howard will lead the falcon swimmers as they look to compete for the top spot in the city.

Jeff Topping is the head baseball coach. There is a quick interview with Coach Topping explaining the season.

Eric Yeager is the head coach of the boys golf team and they will look to improve on their 3rd place finish in city last year.  Sr. Dylan Jensen and Jr. Logan Whitchurch will be leading the boys golf team.

Girls soccer will look to improve on their losing season last year with Head coach Brianna Falvey who is in her 3rd season.  With the help of Sr. Zion Dewerff, which was 2nd team all city in offense and Jr. Mackenzie Greer, 1st team defense, I believe the girls will be much better.