Soccer Season Is Over

Soccer Vs. East

photo by Megan Buck

Soccer Vs. East

Raul Lopez, Reporter

The boys varsity soccer season is over, they ended with a record of  8-9-1(8 wins, 9 loses, and 1 tie). The team won there first 3 games, on there 4th game they lost against Salina Central, the score was 5-1. I asked coach Fiegel some questions and this is what he said,

Q: What is a quote you always told your players?

“How far do you want to go?”

That was our quote for the year, I started saying that this summer once I had an idea of who was going to be playing varsity this season with me. We lost some very talented and technical players last year due to graduation and transfers. I knew we had something special during a tournament we played in this summer and we had a lot of chemistry on the field that came about naturally. I started using that quote because I felt that this could be a special season for us to over achieve expectations with how well we played as a team rather than individual play.

Q: What are your thoughts on the graduating player?

We are graduating six varsity seniors this year: Leandro Corral, Edward Soto, Badr Seyam, Alfonso Urbina, Dylan Jensen, and Connor West. These boys will always have a special place in my memory because they came in as freshman as my first year coaching as an assistant. We grew up together and I learned a lot from them on how to build relationships as a coach with them. We had a lot of ups and downs through these four years but I know we finished the year on a high. Next season is going to be strange not seeing these boys on the field practicing but they left a legacy and a culture here with the soccer program that I am very proud to be a part of, they did all of the right things on and off the field for us to be successful in the years to come.

Q: How would you assess the past season?

We went from 4-12 in the 2015 season to 8-9-1.  This year we played as a cohesive team and had a lot of chemistry. We were competitive in most of our games and played everyone in city league very tough. Going into to regionals we were ranked #13 and we beat the #4 seed Salina Central. That was the first regional win for a Heights Soccer team in over 6 years I believe. Overall we over achieved a lot of expectations and performed a very high level.

Q: What do you see for the future?

The future looks very good for the soccer program and I have to give a lot of credit to the seniors who helped build a culture and create a legacy of hard work in the classroom and working hard at practice. This year I started 4 freshman on varsity with another 2 suiting up. So overall I had 6 freshman getting a lot of varsity time this year. I am very excited to see these players grow and get bigger physically because they already have the technical ability to play at a high level.

Q:What is your best memory of the season?

This is a tough one we played some phenomenal games this year. But the biggest game probably was the season opener when we beat East High in OT with the golden goal scored by freshman Anthony Cuevas. I think that jumpstarted the season and really hit home with the players with “How far do you want to go?”  My other favorite moments this season would be a tie at Bishop Carrol that prevented them from outright winning city league and then us being Salina Central in regionals after they beat us 5-1 earlier in the season. The Salina Central game was great for us to win because we beat them in triple OT with a man down due to a red card.

Q: What was the funniest thing that happened?

We always have a good time at practice. I have a few boys who have a great sense of humor that always crack jokes. My funniest players have to be Leandro Corral, Tucker Klingenberg, and Dylan Jensen. There were always a lots of laughs. Some of my favorite moments at practice that made everyone laugh was when we let Emiliano Banuelos try to play striker and kicked the ball straight up in the air and it went over the fence. Also many good laughs came off of us trying to nutmeg each other, a lot of the boys would try to nutmeg me when we were doing drills or just standing around.