A look back at the soccer season

Soccer Vs. East

photo by Megan Buck

Soccer Vs. East

Anthony Cuevas, Reporter

Sadly the soccer season has come to an end. C-team’s season ended with a record of 1-9. They one their first game in four years. They beat Southeast 1-0. Freshman Sam Flores scored that goal for c-team. Raul Lopez- “The best memory for the season was when Tanner Bay had a handball in the box and it was a penalty, and our goalie Angel Urbina saved the penalty”. Coach Smith- I didn’t really have a quote that I used  with my team, but something that I always told them almost daily was “To play soccer you need to be able to pass, trap, & enjoy running.” I believe that if you can do those three things well then you can move up to the next level (JV). That is what players on the C- Team are trying to accomplish and are constantly asking me “How do I get to the JV team”. My best memory is when we won the 1st game of the season against Southeast.

The Jv soccer team seasons end with a record of 3-7 (3 wins and 7 losses).Coach Falvey-“I don’t always expect for you to be the better skilled team, but I always expect you to work harder.” We were VERY young. No seniors and many new faces.  Although we didn’t get as many wins as we would have liked, we continued to improve over the course of the season and look forward to having many returners again this year! My best memory at Heights was our game against South High last year when we came back to tie the game 1-1, while it was a torrential down pour.  The turf field ended up flooding and we had to cancel the game when we went into OT. Lucas Tate- “My best memory was beating Trinity in the Titan Classic with 12 seconds left and Tucker scores the goal and we get the win”.

The Varsity soccer season ended in the second round of regionals. There final record ended with 8-9-1 (8 wins, 9 losses, and 1 tie). They won their first regional game in five years against Salina Central. It was a tough game but Heights won in double overtime with the score of 2-1 and Bader Seyam scoring the game winner. The Varsity team accomplished a lot this year. They with be losing six starters which are seniors.  The seniors are Dylan Jensen, Edward Soto, Bader Seyam, Alfonzo Urbina, Leandro Corral, and Connor West. Edward Soto- ” I can’t decide what was a better memory for the season, playing East high as our first game and beating them in overtime or winning our first regional game against Salina Central but for sure those are my top two”. Bader Seyam- ” My best memory was winning my first regional game and me scoring the winning goal in the double overtime”. Coach Fiegel always told the players is “how far do you wanna go”. That really helped them this year and got their to win their first regional game.