The student news site of Wichita Heights High School

The Highlighter

Falcons out score Dodge to win homecoming 53-48

Sometimes the key to winning is scoring–scoring a lot. In a game where both teams defenses struggled, the Falcons and Dodge City Red Demons combined for 101 points. Fortunately, the Falcons got 53 of the points and the Demons managed only 48.

With so much scoring, something as simple as PATs (point after tries) can get overlooked. While both teams missed PAT opportunities, in the end the margin of victory was the five PAT points added by Falcon kicker Alfonso Urbina and the failure of Dodge to convert on four 2-point PATs.

The high scoring Falcon offense was led by Rodney Murphy who scored four TDs; three runs from 11, 30 and 1 yard out, and a 16-yard pass from quarterback Garrett Haskins. After being shut down in against South, Haskins again exploded for 195 yards of offense and three TDs rushing and one passing.

While the defense foundered much of the game, giving up 137 yards in the air, the Falcon D stiffens with 9:08 left in the 4th quarter and the Demons threatening from the 4-yd line. Dodge was forced to settle for a field goal. By denying Dodge a TD, the defense gave the Falcons the advantage in the tit-for-tat scoring battle and ultimately the win.

RUSHING – Haskins 10-179, Garner 11-84, Scott 14-63, Murphy 11-62, Williams 2-1.

PASSING – Haskins 1-3-0-16.

RECEIVING – Heights: Murphy 1-16.