The Highlighter

Foreign Exchange Students

This year, our school has 9 foreign exchange students. We are presenting you their American experience for their first several weeks in the USA.

Wirada Thammathiwat (Kim), Thailand

I used to go to Chalermkwansatree School. I would definitely take you to Pattaya, it’s fantastic.

2.What do you like to do in Thailand and what do you like about Wichita Heights/the USA?

The thing I miss doing is shopping with my best friend  and spending time with my brother. Here, in the United States of America I like tall buildings in the downtown and people. My favorite thing about school is Advocacy.

3.Do you like American food? Do you miss any particular food from Thailand?

I really like American food, especially fried chicken with lots of cheese. I wish Americans had somtum.

Manon van Langen, the Netherlands

I have a brother who likes sports, and an older sister who is n college.  Well, I usually hang out with my friends or ride a bike after school. I’ve played in several musicals and played tennis for many years.

2.Manon, what is your favorite thing about Wichita? Do you like American food?

I like Wichita very much. It’s big and I love Wendy’s and Taco Bell.

3. What is your occupation at Wichita Heights?

-I play tennis and I’m in choir too. I find choir amazing, because I met lots of friends there and I enjoy playing in musicals too.

4.Do you have plans when you come back to the Netherlands?

I still have 2 more years of high school. But after it, I want to go to University  and study European studies.

5. If we were your tourists, where would you take us to? And what would you cook for us?.

The first thing which flew through my mind was Stroopwafel. I would definetely take you to Amsterdam, a beautiful city, and Zaanse Schans, so you can see Dutch history.

Eliska Vagnerova (Ellie), Czech Republic

1.Ellie, what does your life in Pardubice look like?

I go to high school called Gymnasium. I have an older brother and a dog. Beside family and friends, I like spending time doing crossfit. My favorite food is strudel.

2.Do you like Wichita?

Yes, I like everything about it, especially my host family and other exchange students. Here, I play tennis as a extracurricular activity.

3.Do you already have a favorite American food?

I like chicken salad the most.

4.Do you have any plans when you come back to your motherland?

I want to graduate in Gymnasium, go to University and get a driver license.

Mariana Machado, Brazil

1.Oi, Mariana, can you please tell us something about your education system and your plans about it?

Well, our school year starts in February, when summer season in Brazil starts. I attended Colegio Villa Lobos , in Amparo, where I have lived my whole life. In Brazil, we have to wear school uniforms. We do not change classrooms, we stay in one classroom for the whole day and the teachers come to us. When I come back to Brazil, I’ll continue my education on college.

2. What food do you miss the most?

Rice and beans.

3. What’s your favorite American place to go to?

Freddie’s.

4. In your opinion, what’s the best place to go to in Brazil?

Definitely Rio de Janeiro.

Gabriele Scognamiglio, Italy

1.Ciao, Gab! Can you please tell us about your life in Italy?

I have 3 older sisters. I enjoy playing tennis, hanging out with friends and listening to music. I went to Liceo Scientifico Majorana high school. When I come back from the USA, I’ll have to finish it and go to college.

2.Why did you decide to be on exchange year?

I like to learn about new cultures.

3.What’s your favorite thing about Heights?

I really like the school and the people here. I like cross country very much.

4. Even though there are Italian restaurants in Wichita, do you miss your national food and is there any American food you really like?

I still miss pasta and other Italian dishes(laugh).  Believe me or not, I like peanut butter the most.

Amanda Gomes, Brazil

1.What do you like to do in Brazil?

I like hanging out with my friends and family.

2.What’s your favorite thing about Heights? Are you enrolled in any extracurricular activities? 

The people. I like that you are allowed to eat during some classes and you can pick up subjects you want to study. I’m a member of hair club.

3. If we were tourists in Brazil, where would you take us to?

I would take you to Christ the Redeemer.

Joanna Grell, Poland

1. Cześć, Joanna! Can you please tell us more about your life in Poland and about plans you have after an exchange year?

In Poland, I have two brothers. I like horseback riding, volleyball and piano playing. When I come back, I’ll attend private school and go on trip to Czech Republic.

2.What do you like the most about Wichita/Heights?

My favorite thing about the school are teachers, they are kinder in comparison to Polish. Here, the schools are easier. I really like my host family and my house. Milkshakes are my favorite.

3. If we were tourists in Poland, where would you take us to?

You would definitely like Rynek(square) in my city-Wroclaw, old churches and buildings and Molo in Sopot.

Agnese Aroietti, Italy

1.Agnese, can you compare your life in Italy and in the USA?

In Italy, I live in the city of love-Verona. I attended language high school and my goal is to finish it next year and go to university. In my free time, I like to hang out with my friends in the city, go to parks or take a train ride to Milan or Venice. In the USA, everything is different, but I like it, especially the downtown.  I do cross country.

2.Have you noticed any differences in school education?

Yes, at schools in Verona you must work hard, the teachers are very strict and the schedules are different.

3.Where would you take us to in Verona?

As Verona is city of love of Romeo and Juliet, I would take to the Juliet’s balcony and the Arena which was built by Romans.

Lana Vujosevic, Montenegro

1.What’s the hardest thing for you in the USA?   

Well, beside being separated from my family, the food. I miss my grandma’s cooking. And my biggest struggle is to explain to Americans where my country is in Europe.

2.What are the differences between Montenegro and the USA?

In my country, we are not allowed to drive until the age of 18, but here you can start driving at the age of 14. We do use public transportation while Americans depend on their own vehicles more. My country is small, but it is full of diversity in every aspect. If you drive from the capital city 30 minutes north, you’ll be freezing on the mountains. If you drive 30 minutes south, you can swim in the Adriatic sea and sunbath on beautiful sandy beaches. People here work more and eat lots of fast food, while in Montenegro we don’t have fast food restaurants such as McDonald’s, Wendy’s and etc.

3. Are you enrolled in any activities at Heights and what are your plans about the future?

I am part of the marching band and the tennis team. When I graduate in the USA, I’ll have to finish my high school and study economic and business sciences in Germany.