The Highlighter

Randleas; Tims: Reaching for New Heights

Tims and Randleas answer questions about their gubernatorial run in government class.

photo by Megan Buck

photo by Megan Buck

Joshua Linsley, Writer, Falcon Highlighter

During the waning years of high school, students from around the country aspire to do an infinite number of fantastic things. Heights seniors Ethan Randleas and Cameron Tims hope to become the Governor and Lieutenant Governor of Kansas in the 2018 election.

Randleas is one of five teens currently running in the 2018 Kansas Gubernatorial Race. Tims is his running mate. Teenagers are able to run for Governor in Kansas due to the lack of requirements for gubernatorial candidates to enter the race. While some people may view teenagers running for governor as trivial,Randleas and Tims are very serious about their campaign. Randleas jumps at every opportunity to secure an interview or to speak up about his ideas, and Tims is always there to support him and give his own opinions. 

Randleas and Tims are running as Republicans with Libertarian ideologies, supporting policies such as cutting taxes and promoting personal liberties. One of their main goals is to bring the new and fresh ideas of the American youth to the bodies that govern us as citizens. Randleas has also prioritized making revisions to the state budget by cutting spending he deems to be unnecessary; He wants to cut funding in order to meet the budget shortfall in the state. Randleas and  Tims may only be teenagers , but they are extremely determined to secure the positions, or at least spread awareness of the ideas that they and many other young libertarians possess.

As young candidates, they face many challenges on their way to office. Due to lack of political experience, it will be an uphill battle for them to gain supporters and funding. Randleas and Tims are also competing against political heavyweights such as Chris Kobach, Carl Brewer and Jim Ward.

Randleas and Tims serve as great examples of students who are truly striving to achieve their goals.