The student news site of Wichita Heights High School

The Highlighter

Principles of Engineering builds solar/hydrogen cars

John Cook assemble the frame for his solar/hydrogen powered car in Principles of Engineering.

Kummia Carver

II

In Orion Patrie’s Principles of Engineering or POE class they have been building solar/hydrogen cars, which are cars that convert solar power into hydrogen to burn as fuel. This is essentially the same technology that is used in hydrogen fuel cell automobiles.

Javon Maggot a student in POE said, “There are a lot of screws you have to use to make it so it will run right or else, if it isn’t all on there, the car won’t run and you will have to rebuild it or go back and put the missing pieces.”

Once students complete the frame, the have to tackle the power system and tank that holds the distilled water.

When the class is all done with their cars they will all test drive them to see if they are good to go. If not, they will go back and fix the mistake they made on their cars.

“Aaron said, “The point of making this car was to show the students how the cars started and ran on water and hydrogen and when the water supply was gone it would completely just stop because its all out of pretty much their gas in the car.”

“Jordan Farrow said, “This assignment took the class over two and a half weeks to complete because it was a lot to do in the process of making it right.” The time was worth it because the students where satisfied with what they did and got to have fun while doing it.

The point of making the solar hydrogen cars is because they are engineers and they should be able to make and take apart things part by part. After this assignment the POE has a lot more projects ahead of them. Patrie said they have robots to make and all sorts of fun thing this year they will have a great year and enjoy it.