The student news site of Wichita Heights High School

The Highlighter

Meet the Falcon exchange students!

Alexander (Sasha) Uplisashilli: Tbilisis, Georgia

IMG_9800I.jpg

Sash Uplisashuili

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? I always had interest how U.S. people live and becoming an exchange student gave me an opportunity to integrate into American society.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? Schools are very different. My old school we didn’t change classes, the teachers did. also we were not allowed to choose our subjects and if we were late to class we don’t get punishment.

What are some cultural differences? in my country we went to bed 3 hours later than in average here and kissing when greeting is uncommon here.

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? from where I’m from my favorite food is a dish called ‘Khinkali’ and here i really like the Wendy’s Baconator.

Whats your favorite music group or band? I like the Musicians Awon, and Nicolas Jaar and my favorite band is of Monsters of Men.

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? I play football for school (American) and i do some volunteering at church.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? Orange juice and beer (In Georgia, the legal drinking age is 16).

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: You get to see things from other countries perspective, your mind-set changes once you have been here a bit, and i get to experience all theses amazing things this country has to offer. Cons: I miss my home and family a lot, and when i first came here I felt completely isolated.

Annika Andres: Neustadt Weinstrape, Germany

IMG_9797F.jpg

Annika Andres

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? Because I wanted a new experience.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? At my school, we stay with our class the whole time and we have the same classmates from 5th grade to senior year. school is from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. and our class hours are 45-minutes long.

What are some cultural differences? Here, there is air conditioning everywhere. Our holidays are different to; summer break is 6 weeks, spring break is 2 weeks, winter break is 2 weeks and 2 weeks for fall. we have lots of public transportation like, trains, buses, subways….

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? Back home I pretty much eat anything. but here I really like french toast and cookies.

Whats your favorite music group or band? Green Day and Linkin Park.

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? I play field hockey and I enjoy the guitar. I also like hanging out with my friends and shopping.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? Coffee and water.

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: I get to meet new people and see this new country. I am in and improve my English. Cons: When I first came here, I didn’t know anyone and its not easy to let your friends and family go back home.

Julia Koenig: Stuttgart, Germany

IMG_9801J.jpg

Julia Koenig

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? I wanted to study the language and learn about other cultures.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? We have every day and every class with the same people. We have from 7:45 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. or to 3:30 p.m., and we don’t have security like here.

What are some cultural differences? Walmart is open on Sunday here and there are a lot more McDonald’s and Subways.

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? Germany- Steak with french fries. America- Burgers

Whats your favorite music group or band? One Republic, Imagine Dragons, The Script, Macklemore, Wiz Khalifa

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? I love playing soccer and hanging out with friends and family.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? Coke and Milkshakes

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: I learn the language better; it’s a life experience. Cons: I miss my friends and family, it’s hard at the beginning, and I’m alone at the beginning

Maria Cejas Pont: I’m from a city on the east coast of Spain called Valencia.

IMG_9792A.jpg

Maria Cejas Pont

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? Because I always wanted to learn about the USA’s culture, to visit this country and the the main reason is because I wanted to become an independent person with a really open mind and understanding of other cultures.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? This school is huge and has a lot of infrastructures like the gym, the auditorium, the labs….., and my old school doesn’t. Another difference, is that my old school we stayed in the same class with the same classmates for the whole day and the ones who change from class to class were the teachers. And lastly, here there are a lot of club and sport opportunities.

What are some cultural differences? The biggest difference for me is that here people go everywhere by car, but they are also really friendly. From the food, to the buildings, it’s really different from my country.

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? My favorite food from my country is the “Paella Valenciana’ and from here probably the typical hamburger.

Whats your favorite music group or band? One Direction and Imagine Dragons.

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? In my free time, i like reading books, listening to music and playing/ watching soccer.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? water

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: I get to meet new people, learn about different cultures and discover a new country and also learn the language better. Cons: I’m away from home and i really miss my friends and family.

River Sietsma: Melbourne, Australia

IMG_9808Q.jpg

River Sietsma

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? It’s an experience of a life time. and I wanted to see how other cultures work.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? At my old school we have 5 classes a day, with 2 lunch breaks. I had to wear a school uniform and we weren’t too big on sports.

What are some cultural differences? In America you have different systems. For example, we use Celsius when measuring temperature. You guys are really big on sports, especially football, and you have many different kinds of food and many different customs.

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? I don’t have a favorite food from home. But here I really love cookies and you have some terrific restaurants.

Whats your favorite music group or band? I love music, but I don’t really have a favorite. I’m always discovering new music that I like.

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? In Australia, I do a lot of boxing as an after school sport.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? Lemon Lime bitters ( The drinking age in Australia is 18).

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: I get to live in a different country for a year and experience what America has to offer. Cons: I miss my family.

Roberta Croce: Rome, Italy

IMG_9805N.jpg

Roberta Croce

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? I love to learn new languages, discover new cultures and traditions.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? in Italy students don’t have to change rooms. Teacher change class every hour. we don’t have a lunch at school, we have hours of 60 minutes and we begin at 8:30 a.m. and is over at 2:30 p.m.

What are some cultural differences? There is air conditioning everywhere here. No public transportation were I’m from, taxes rates included in prices, there’s more fast food here than sit down restaurants.

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? Pizza and pasta from back home and cookies, brownies and french fries here.

Whats your favorite music group or band? Cold Play

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? I enjoy reading, walking, listening to music, shopping and hanging out with friends.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? Water with no ice

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: visiting another country and meeting new people Cons: I miss my family, i feel alone with out friends (when I first came here) i can’t go anywhere without my host parents picking me up or bringing me home. and i couldn’t understand everything people would say.

Siavash Solemanpoor: Hamburg, Germany

IMG_9793B.jpg

Siavash Solemanpoor

Why did you decide to become a foreign exchange student? I wanted to improve my English and learn more about another culture.

What are some differences from your old school and this school? This school is a lot bigger and the teachers stay in the same room rather than changing rooms.

What are some cultural differences? People here are very open about themselves and stores are open on Sundays.

What is your favorite food from where you are from and here? It has potato and chicken, and here cheese and salad.

Whats your favorite music group or band? Big on all kinds of music, except for hard rock.

What do you do in your free time: hobbies, activities, and/or sports? Hangout with my friends and I love to play soccer.

Whats your favorite thing to drink? homemade lemonade

What are some pros and cons of being an exchange student? Pros: I can Improve my English, and learn about a new language Cons: I miss my friends and family, and i have to wash my own cloths.